[1966] "Black Friday" (day after Thanksgiving)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 25 04:41:42 UTC 2008

And the historical antecedents, as hinted by the OED's description,
are all negative:   "(b) applied to various historic dates of
disastrous events which took place on Friday, as Dec. 6, 1745, when
the landing of the Young Pretender was announced in London; May 11,
1866, when a commercial panic ensued on the failure of Overend,
Gurney, & Co."  (Perhaps the last here is the one that sagehen is remembering.)

Joel