their own language

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 25 18:33:13 UTC 2008

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/24/cosby_0425.html

By CHRISTIAN BOONE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/24/08

When Fulton Superior Court Judge Marvin Arrington got mad, an icon listened.

On Thursday, Bill Cosby headlined a "fireside chat" with Arrington and Atlanta-born comic Chris Tucker at Benjamin E. Mays High School. The packed auditorium held mostly at-risk high school students and their parents — the people Cosby is trying to reach with his message of tough love for the African-American community.

"I'm blunt, and I'm going to stay blunt," he said, drawing cheers from the crowd. Cosby's approach has its critics, but he's unbowed.

Barack Obama says "Yes, we can." Cosby's message: "Yes we should."

"The man from Nigeria comes here, he's here two months, and what does he do?" he asked. "He goes to community college. He's learning a second language while he drives the cab. What are our children doing? Practicing a first language that only they can understand."