"close enough for government work" 1965

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 27 20:07:23 UTC 2008

Thanks, Ben.  The Google Book Genie didn't reveal this one when I summoned him an hour ago. Is it all in the wrist?

  JL

Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
Subject: Re: "close enough for government work" 1965

Google Book Search has a NASA publication, _Results of the Second U.S.
Manned Orbital Space Flight, May 24, 1962_ (in snippet view, of
course). On p. 102, in what appears to be a flight transcipt, is the
line, "That's probably close enough for government work."

http://books.google.com/books?id=hBoCAAAAIAAJ

--Ben Zimmer