Rock and roll singin' in 1865

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 29 04:36:43 UTC 2008

"Sea _shanty_"? I grew up under the impression that the preferred
spelling was "chanty." The Random House DEL, c1971, however, gives
"chantey(!)" as the preferred spelling, followed by "chanty,
shantey(!), shanty."

Everything changes over time, I reckon.

-Wilson

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>  Subject:      Rock and roll singin' in 1865
>
>  Much can we learn from the magic of birdsong:
>
>   1865  New Orleans Times (Feb. 27)  3 [rptd. from All the Year Round]: This sent the parrot's association to sea and she...sang with a tenderness and fair-weather-after-a-storm sweetness:
>
>   "Rock and roll me over, one more day,
>   One more day, my darling, one more day;
>   Oh, rock and roll me over,
>   One more day."
>
>   Aficionados will recognize the song as a sea shanty called "One More Day."   "Rock and roll me over" appears in the chorus of every known version.
>
>   JL

>  Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens