'word' words

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 30 02:21:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Dave Hause <dwhause at jobe.net> wrote:

> Hard to beat the law enforcement use of "K9 dog."

That's a dog that's trained as a -- member? -- of what's actually called the
"K-9 Corps".  Of course "K-9" is a pun or rebus, but this is a "K9 dog", not
a "canine dog". Homophonous but not the same.

Neither OED nor MW has "K9" or "K-9". Google search finds inter alia the
following (URL/title/lede):

http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/oqmg/professional_bulletin/1998/Spring_1998/qmk9.html
The Quartermaster K-9 Corps
On 13 March 1942, the Quartermaster Corps began training dogs for the Army's
"K-9 Corps." The phrase "K-9 Corps" became a popular title for the War Dog
Program in the 1940s, and found wide informal usage both inside and outside
the military.

https://www.cia.gov/kids-page/k-5th-grade/the-cia-k-9-corps/index.html
The CIA K-9s — Central Intelligence Agency
The K-9 Corps - formed in 1991 - is one of our favorite groups at the CIA.
Our K-9s and their human partners protect the CIA and our employees. And
today, our K-9s handle jobs that humans just can't do as well.

--
Mark Mandel
N€™êâq©Ã‰©^rÔ¨r'­Êm§ÿðæz¸œjwbjWœ¶Šà