God only gave me two hands. The rest he gave to the Indians.

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Aug 4 17:50:30 UTC 2008

"God only gave me two hands" (with various placements of "only" or "just") gets about 160 Google hits--not many, to be sure.  There are significantly more for "I only have two hands" (12,500), "I've only got two hands" (2,770), "I only got two hands" (450), etc.  Of course, not all of those instances are germain. Still, we can identify a set expression, which is often uttered as a retort to being urged to hurry at some manual task. The "Indians" part is probably an innovative addendum, without much occurrence in oral tradition.

--Charlie