who's ever

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 6 02:08:00 UTC 2008

I have to fight with myself to keep from speaking it or writing it.
Oddly, I've never noticed whether other people use it.

My guess is that, in my case, my tang tends to get tungled up in my
eyeteeth so that I can't see what I'm saying, because I'm usually
consciously trying to avoid speaking BE, unless it's on purpose.

No, black people don't say "who's ever." It's that constant monitoring
can easily lead to non-existent "corrections" or even to stuttering,
on *my* part.

OTOH, I don't have a problem with "whose ever": "Whose ever /
"Whoever's / Whichever bike you come to next, take that one." I don't
consider it to be "right," merely "all right."

-Wilson

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Joan H. Hall <jdhall at wisc.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Joan H. Hall" <jdhall at WISC.EDU>
> Subject:      who's ever
>
> Here in Madison I regularly hear, "I can help who's ever next" [rather
> than "whoever's next"].

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens