Heard on Futurama: semantic drift?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 7 02:34:29 UTC 2008

At 10:08 PM -0400 8/6/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Uh, did I mention that this was Futurama, on Comedy Central, a channel
>which gives mere lip-service to censorship, only semi-hemi-arsedly
>bleeping even "motherfucker" and "Jesus fucking Christ!"?
>
>-Wilson

Well, I did say basic cable for that reason (as opposed to HBO, where
they don't bleep shit; or, more specifically, "shit").  I know from
the Daily Show that you can read lips and it's no secret what's being
said--but it's still not (quite) heard, and for that reason
substitutions are sometimes (although not always) used.  But I'm just
guessing here.

LH