PREP-addition

Thu Aug 7 23:38:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Mark Mandel <thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's also happening with other lexemes in similar constructions. The
> other day I noticed "X [be] bestowed with Y" for "Y [be] bestowed
> (up)on X". Google gives about 257,000 raw hits for "bestowed with".

Of course, not all of those hits will match the construction you're
looking for. There are plenty along the lines of:

"a significant cash prize is bestowed with the award"
"the award is bestowed with considerable discretion"
"we will all want this award to be bestowed with respect and admiration"
etc.

--Ben Zimmer