PREP-addition

Fri Aug 8 03:35:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Mark Mandel <thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:

> The first 10 hits are all PERSON [be]  bestowed with HONOR.
>
> Although now that I take a 2nd look, these are all headlines. (Add an
> "e"...) Headlinese is different from even the same article's prose.

Here are some historical examples for you...

1917 _Manitoba Free Press_ 25 Aug. 4/4 Lieut. Weir, who has been
bestowed with the military cross honor for gallantry and devotion to
duty, is the eldest son of Mr. W. A. Weir.

1932 _Pittsburgh Courier_ 4 June II9/3 Two colored students of Fifth
Avenue were bestowed with unique honors last Wednesday during the
senior assembly.

1933 _Hartford Courant_ 25 Nov. 4/2 At a special meeting of the local
council a year ago he was bestowed with honorary membership in the
order.

1943 _Harvard Crimson_ 16 Feb. Conant's the first out-of-state man in
many years to be bestowed with the honor.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=468282

--Ben Zimmer