Heard on The Judges: "bum-rush"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 12 19:45:57 UTC 2008

Spoken by presumably European-American, standard-speaking, voice-over guy:

"The plaintiff complains that the defendants' nine dogs _bum-rushed_
his two dogs."

I.e., one group of dogs _attacked_ another group.

However, IMO, to _bum-rush_ is to _frog-walk or otherwise throw an
undesirable patron out of a joint_ and not to attack him, whether as
an individual or in a group. Of course, since both "bum-rush" and
"frog-walk" are both only literary terms for me, I could very well be
completely mistaken, here.

FWIW, I've never even heard of such a thing as requiring, or even
merely asking, a patron to leave a bar, in real life. In Jim-Crow
days, naturally, I sometimes experienced being refused entrance to a
watering-place, from the be-ginning. A Japanese-American friend told
me of being refused entrance to bars in Oklahoma, when he was a
cannon-cocker at Fort Sill, on the grounds that he was a Native
American. Since he was always subsequently admitted, after
demonstrating that he was neither an Indian nor black, he - and I -
thought that some white Oklahomans really did think that he was an
Indian. (For me, that story nailed the ceiling to the roof, WRT the
theory that the progenitors of Native Americans emigrated from Asia.)

-Wilson
-----
 -Sam'l Clemens