At the Olympics: time reference

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 12 21:10:08 UTC 2008

I lost the beginning of this thread. But, as I recall, it was about
broadcasters using "this evening" referring to a sports event occurring
during daylight hours. This is something that we've discussed previously
with regard to "day baseball" and the like. Because for many sports the
default game-time is after dinner, it's not at all unusual for any
temporal adverbs referring to game-time events to be from the set
"tonight", "this evening", etc.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963