At the Olympics: time reference

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed Aug 13 02:49:45 UTC 2008

And then there's this:
August 11, 2008, 10:32 pm
Postcard From Beijing: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

By George Vecsey
George Vecsey

In The [NY] Times's office in the press center there is a printed sign
directly next to a clock. The sign says:

"This clock is Beijing time. If you need to know the time in New York, check
the clock on the wall at the opposite end of the room."

Swivel your head to the other side of the room and you see a clock
displaying exactly the same time. And you realize you have been had, by the
wit of our technology expert, Charlie Competello. (This is the first time in
40 years that I have encountered official drollery at the NYT, so I am
savoring it for all it is worth.)

The point is, New York time is exactly 12 hours behind Beijing time. (No
military, or 24-hour clocks, involved.)
dh