deter 'prevent'; OED Online references

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Aug 13 13:19:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:19:15AM -0400, Mark Mandel wrote:

> OED Online:
> ADDITIONS SERIES 1993
>     Add:    [1.] c. To prevent or inhibit.
> 1961 in WEBSTER. 1972 Sci. Amer. July 23/2 This tactic could deter
> torpedo attack..in just the same way that the strategic offensive
> force reliably deters a first strike. 1986 Cambridge (Mass.) Chron. 6
> Mar. 1/3 Zoning regulations..deter the development of community
> residences.
>
> ========
>
> Which Webster? Well, there's a hyperlink.... but it just goes to the
> first "Webster" on Bibliography: W-Web. So it's probably one of the
> following, and since they say 1961 I would *guess* they mean this
> one**.

The links to the online bibliography are, as should be clear,
not exact, but were thought to be at least potentially
useful. As we revise, we are doing far more thorough
bibliographical linking, and you'll be able to get to a
reference to the exact edition used.

We've also changed our standards for citing dictionaries; W3
is currently cited as "1961 Webster's 3rd New
Internat. Dict. Eng. Lang.", as you can see e.g. in the entry
for panache adj./n.(2), which should be more clear than what's
there now.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED