deter 'prevent'; OED Online references

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Aug 13 16:33:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:22:09AM -0400, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> At 8/13/2008 09:19 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>
> >The links to the online bibliography are, as should be clear,
> >not exact, but were thought to be at least potentially
> >useful. As we revise, we are doing far more thorough
> >bibliographical linking, and you'll be able to get to a
> >reference to the exact edition used.
> >
> >We've also changed our standards for citing dictionaries; W3
> >is currently cited as "1961 Webster's 3rd New
> >Internat. Dict. Eng. Lang.", as you can see e.g. in the entry
> >for panache adj./n.(2), which should be more clear than what's
> >there now.
>
> Why not continue to use a hyperlink, as in OED2, but link directly to
> the exact item in the bibliography?  Also, that would allow the
> "quotation work" text to be shorter.

This will probably be possible in the future, but to implement
it now we'd have to associate current items with the outdated
entries in the existing bibliography.

In any case, we'd want the work titles to be full enough in
their own right that it wouldn't be a requirement to use the
bibliography to find out more.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED