Southern Cuisine: shrimp and grits

Wed Aug 13 19:05:03 UTC 2008

Well, shrimp and grits "got to central north carolina" cuz folks in central
north carolina (including Bill Neal when hed was alive) go to the beach a
lot--usually from Morehead City down to northern Georgia. At least as many shrimp
are hauled in on the NC coast as are in the Gulf. Lagasse probably got it from
Bill Neal.

Folks in Savannah would probably deny the putative Charleston origins, since
Charleston and Savannah would never agree that the other had invented
anything--certainly nothing as worthwhile as shrimp and grits.

In a message dated 8/13/08 1:02:02 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:38 AM, Ron Butters wrote:
>
> > Arnold Zwicky suggests that New Orleans is the source of the popular
> > menu
> > item shrimp and grits. I have a different suggestion.
> >
> > The North Carolina chef, Bill Neal, is credited with having
> > popularized
> > shrimp and grits in the 1980s...
>
> the two ideas are not necessarily incompatible.
>
> shrimp and grits turns out to be a classic dish of charleston, and the
> low country of south carolina in general.  but it has also become a
> "hot" dish in new orleans (quite likely by diffusion from south
> carolina).  it's in Emeril Lagasse's New New Orleans Cooking, and is a
> standard menu item in trendy new-orleans-style restaurants in other
> places (along with gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, etc.).
>
> its spread to n.o. would make a lot of sense, since n.o. is in the
> midst of shrimping country.
>
> how it got to central n.c. is another question.
>
> arnold

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?
Read reviews on AOL Autos.