shrimp and grits in Italy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 14 02:58:09 UTC 2008

Did they, by chance, have that skr- -> str- feature? The only people
that I've ever heard speak this way were black NC natives. OTOH, I
have NC step-family and they don't have this feature in their speech,
though they use pronunciations like "JAY-pan," nor do white NC-ians
that I've met in the Army and elsewhere, though some have "yon" as a
living adjective in their lexicon, instead of merely as an adverb in
the fixed expression, "hither(, thither,) and yon."

I've heard both "hither and yon" and "hither, thither, and yon" used
by my mother and her parents and friends ("everything strewn [stroun]
hither, thither, and yon"). I don't use either form, me. (Just kidding
with that "me.")

-Wilson

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:40 PM,  <RonButters at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       RonButters at AOL.COM
> Subject:      shrimp and grits in Italy
>
> I once had dinner in Venice with a family who were "black natives of North
> Carolina" in which one course consisted of tiny tiny prawns on polenta that had
> been drizzled with octopus ink. The eight-year-old daughter exclaimed, "Mama,
> This is grits and worms!" It looked pretty unappetizing to me, too.
>
> In a message dated 8/13/08 4:34:13 PM, hwgray at GMAIL.COM writes:
>

>> FWIW, I've heard it referred to as "_shtrimp_ & grits" by a former
>> roommate who was a "North Carolina river-cricket," i.e. a black native
>> of North Carolina.
>>
>> -Wilson

> Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?
> Read reviews on AOL Autos.
>
> (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

-----
-Mark Twain