Yo, Have You All Heard 'We All'?

Thu Aug 14 19:00:10 UTC 2008

Yeah, it sounds weird because of the case error, not because "we all" is some kind of risable' stupid ghetto pronoun (as the original poster implied). I suspect that the speaker's hypercorrection stemmed from the fact that "we/us all" is not only the superficial object of "wants"; it is also the deeper subject of "to think." The presence of "all" probably added confusion for the speaker. But it has nothing to do with the Southern pronoun "y'all"! The speaker may well not be a "y'all" speaker (she IS in New York).. ALL varieties of American English use "we all" and "us all."

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Velasco <marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:16:56
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Yo, Have You All Heard 'We All'?

I've heard we all, similar to y'all (which I hear frequently), but only as a
one-off sort of usage (nonced?).

But I've never heard 'we all' as an object of a verb "so and so wants we all
to...".  I believe I heard the _we all_ as a straight subject.  At any rate,
when I heard _we all_ it was rare enough to perk my ears up.