OED SF database (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 19 01:05:59 UTC 2008

Yes to that! But there are two butterflies in this garden, both
effecting great changes from tiny causes.

One is Heinlein's butterfly, whose death in the Jurassic (?) era tips
a close election in our time, a change invisible to all but the time
travelers who left Present[0] and returned to Present[1].

I don't know who gets credit for the other butterfly, which is
associated with chaos theory. (Terry Pratchett used it, but didn't
come up with it.) This one flaps its wing, & the tiny air movement
eventually causes a hurricane half a world away.

m a m
(Sent from my PDA)

On 8/18/08, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> "to butterfly", not in OED or OED SF database
>
> To implement "the butterfly effect".  OED has [1972] and 1979 for
> "Butterfly effect", but should somehow reference Ray Bradbury's story
> "The Sound of Thunder" (published in _Collier's_ June 28, 1952), in
> which a time traveller steps on a butterfly in the time of dinosaurs,
> and changes human history.
>
>  Jun 17 2006, 7:32 pm
> "If you really want to butterfly Heinlein, have him
> elected to the California State Assembly in 1938. "
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/soc.history.what-if/msg/d47d4a990fbd7e40?
> hl=en
>
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE