anise

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Aug 20 20:06:53 UTC 2008

I am continually astonished at how un-selfconscious, unknowledgeable, incurious my students are about their own names or those of their classmates and others! Maybe, on account of budget cuts, recess had been abolished at their elementary schools, so they never had to endure (or got to inflict) name-taunts.

Just today I tossed out the softball question, "If Columbus WAS born Jewish, then he must have adopted the name Christopher later in life; what's the reason for that conclusion?"  Silence.  Finally, a very tentatively offered response: "Because it sounds kind of like 'Christian'?"

Besides taunt-resistance, doesn't the preference for pronouncing "Regina" with [-jin@] instead of with [-jain@] parallel the evident (American) preference for the Latinate pronunciations of "Maria" and "Sophia," which we have discussed here?

--Charlie