"Freedom isn't free."

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 22 22:52:03 UTC 2008

Pretty interesting ambiguity in "what that government really wants is
your freedom". I infer that you mean "... is to take away your
freedom", based on the metaphor of physical ownership (if you have a
pie and I want it, then I want to take it away from you -- although if
the government "takes away " my freedom, they can't be said to "have"
it in any meaningful sense). But "They want Mumia Abu-Jamal's freedom"
means "They want him to be free".

In the first case, the presumption is that you are currently free,
i.e., you "have" freedom and the gov't wants to TAKE IT AWAY from you;
in the second, that Mumia is not currently free, i.e., his freedom is
nonexistent, and they want to ACHIEVE his freedom.

I'm sure there's more in this.

m a m