indice

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Aug 23 17:16:42 UTC 2008

Back in 1979 I published a tiny note about this subject: "An Indice of the Times," _American Speech_ 54:278. So it was happening at least that far back--that is, "indice" pronunced [IndIs] or perhaps [Ind at s] (or perhaps the barred-I pronunciation in between, which I don't know how to write). John Algeo suggests the parallel of "process" [prosIs] back-formed from the affected pronunciation of the plural [prosIsiz].

--Charlie