"Freedom isn't free."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 23 20:57:50 UTC 2008

Thanks to NewspaperArchive.com for this public service ad:

1947 _Lowell (Mass.) Sun_ (Oct. 13) 18: Urging Everybody to Visit the "Freedom Train" in Lowell Oct. 19...For history teaches that Freedom isn't free. It's earned. It has to be earned every day. In Congress. In town meetings. In union meetings. In school. In the home. And we can't pass the buck to other people. If we want to preserve government _of_ the people and _for_ the people, it's got to be government _by all of the people._ That includes you.

You did your bit to win freedom during the war. Do your bit to keep it now.

Freedom Is Everybody's Job!

As for the "Freedom Train" itself:

1947 _Syracuse Herald Journal_ (Mar. 22) 1: "Freedom Train" Urged    Washington (UP)--Attorney General Tom Clark said today "a positive and demanding need has arisen in our country for emphasizing the blessings of the American heritage.

To meet it, he outlined to a White House gathering of prominent citizens from all parts of the nation a plans for sending a "freedom train" across the United States.

It will bear the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, the Emancipation Proclamation, and other treasured historical documents to be viewed by citizens in every section.

The Lowell Sun advised "No admission, nothing to buy, no collections."  So at least the Freedom Train was free.

JL