indice et al.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 24 14:55:50 UTC 2008

At 8/24/2008 10:34 AM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>just came across this comment by Adrian Hester (9/7/07) on Gus Van
>Horn's blog:
>
>Yo, Gus, you write: "It turned out to be a parenthesis. One lousy
>parenthesis." Thank you ever so much for not saying "a parenthesee."
>I've also heard matricee. It's an indicee of the fact that [here
>Hester lets morphology run amok] some people should have a grammar
>editricee-dominatricee whip those various and varied plurals into
>their heads--and this thesee sure as hell shouldn't be shunted off
>into some appendicee. Leastwise, that's the basee of my analysee, but
>some might say I just have a neurosee on the subject.
>   http://gusvanhorn.blogspot.com/2007/09/quick-roundup-237.html

Taking some (actually, only one) liberties:

And in such 'indicee's (although small pricks
To their subsequent volumes) there is seen
The baby figure of the giant mass
Of things to come at large.

[Insert Jon Lighter warning for "small pricks".]

Troilus and Cressida, I, iii, 343.
(Courtesy of Hans H. Wellisch, _Indexing from A to Z_.)

Joel