Cher effect

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon Aug 25 13:55:39 UTC 2008

Someone here asked something about Sonny and Cher recently - don't remember
who or what at the mo. Anyway, as a result, I went poking around in Cher
searches and stumbled upon the "Cher effect".  It seems to have become a
standard term in the music recording biz, and I don't see it in any
dictionaries to which I have access. This does not include OED for the time
being, so I don't know if they have it or not. The term has been around for
almost exactly 10 years, which I believe qualifies it for consideration.
Anyway, submitted here, FWIW. Cher Effect - in sound recording,
overcorrecting pitch to achieve a semi-artificial voice sound effect. (See
Wikipedia and 8,000 or so other refs.)