"bury the lede"

Mon Aug 25 14:42:51 UTC 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 7:25 AM, Larry Horn wrote:

> At 7:14 AM -0700 8/25/08, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>> On Aug 25, 2008, at 6:49 AM, Dave Wilton wrote:
>>
>>> "Lede" is a standard journalistic term and, indeed, it is so spelled
>>> avoid confusion with the metal. Merriam-Webster has it from 1976.
>>> "Bury the
>>> lede/lead" is a common phrase among journos.
>>
>> related is journalistic "hed" for "head", that is a headline.
>>
>> arnold
>>
> --to forestall confusion with "heed" or "hayed"?  There's something
> odd here...

for a longer discussion, see:

   ML, 4/8/07: Hed, dek, lede, graf, tk: Live with it:
  http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004380.html

i was once told that the spelling "hed" for "head" 'headline' was to
distinguish this sense from other uses of "head", but that didn't
strike me as particularly plausible.  i suspect that the spellings are
mostly badges of the journalist's trade.

arnold