akilter

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 26 02:21:35 UTC 2008

Just heard this:
        It is clear to all of us that something is akilter in this great republic.
        Jim Leach at the Democratic Convention, 2008-08-25, about 8:02 pm MDT

~2330 raw googits after specifying "-kilt". Not in OED or M-W.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060808090327AAd2OH5
Yahoo! Canada Answers - Is there such a word as AKILTER?
Q: Is there such a word as AKILTER?
        As in asymetrical. I've looked in Wikidpedia and all the dictionary
books but all I get is Out -of- Kilter. I'm sure a didn't make it up
A: Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
        Meaning : out of whack. Not properly adjusted, not working well, out of order
          Yes i know it doesn't show up in many dictionaries and It doesn't
work on spell check either. But No you didn't make it up.
          The meaning is better understood if you look at it as "A-Kilter"
where A is a prefix meaning NOT like asynchronous, asymmetrical,
apolitical, etc. It means NOT Kilter. Hope that helps.
A: A kilter is two sepereate words and means all messed up or out of kilter.
        Jules, Australia.

The Apartment Complex (1999)
The film even makes homage to The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1919) – the
surreal German classic about a sinister psychologist – with the
akilter camera angles ...
www.moria.co.nz/horror/aptcomplex.htm

One day early last spring Nero, the only female in the tank, began
swimming slightly akilter and we realized she likely had a swim
bladder problem. ...
www.idyllopuspress.com/meanwhile/2005/10/16/prepping-myself-to-euthanize-nero/

Dingbat characters as of 3-3-89 by Doug Henderson % To be run with ...
tilted_anchor = the_anchor rotated akilter;. tilted_ring =
ring_of_anchor rotated akilter;. %%%. % draw the character, show how
ring meets anchor .
ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.ctan.org/fonts/dingbat/dingbat.mf

MetaChat - I always thought I'd have to go to Alaska to see this ...
It'd be nice if we could discover why whales occasionally go akilter*.
* I don't know if that's a word, but it sounds right.
metachat.org/index.php/2006/01/20/i_always_thought_i_d_have_to_go_to_alask

--
Mark Mandel