akilter

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 26 03:09:03 UTC 2008

At 7:26 PM -0700 8/25/08, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>I love the "a kilter" explanation! BB

There are a few good ones.  Here's another compelling
two-sepereate-words [see below] analysis:

I think you might be combining "a" and "kilter" which could easily
occur in a sentence since kilter is a noun. For a complete definition
and examples, see http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r...

--which might make some sort of sense except that this noun "kilter"
is defined there and elsewhere as 'good condition, proper form,
regular order', and it's a bit tricky to predict how combining an
indefinite article with a noun bearing this meaning yields an
adjective meaning 'out of whack'.  Another poster at the link
suggests:

The meaning is better understood if you look at it as "A-Kilter"
where A is a prefix meaning NOT like asynchronous, asymmetrical,
apolitical, etc. It means NOT Kilter. Hope that helps.

But it's hard to imagine "akilter" as involving the Greek privative
prefix; the Greek derivation gets the morphology/etymology wrong,
while the Old English adverbial a- prefix seems right for the
morphology but gets the semantics backward.  If I were Jerry Cohen
(and perhaps even if I weren't), I'd suggest a blend of "askew" with
"(out of) kilter".  There is actually a family of similar descriptive
terms with meanings in the same family--"astray", "askance",
etc.--and maybe they did somehow attract "akilter" to their perverse
ways.

LH