"bring Route 40"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Aug 27 01:36:35 UTC 2008

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> of course, this is not a matter of logic, but of idiom.
>
> presumably an extension of other "bring" for "take" uses.
But (I tentatively think) not _only_ that.

I suppose the idea is ... go : take :: come : bring

So if "I went by Route 1" = "I took Route 1", then it follows
'logically' that "I came by Route 2" = "I brought Route 2".

Similarly, one can say "The airplane took me to London; the airplane
brought me home again."

Then it stands to reason that one can also say "I took the airplane to
London; I brought the airplane home again."

Hard to search for this kind of thing; but try Googling <<"brought the
subway home">>

(^_^)

Sure seems odd to me.

Not in DARE.