LPGA requires English

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 28 17:25:04 UTC 2008

Thanks, Laurance.  But where is Dennis Baron when we need his word?  :-)

Harrington's point about golfers with disabilities (of various kinds)
is something I hadn't thought of, and I imagine well taken:  the LGPA
policy would seem to be a violation of the U.S. "Persons with
Disabilities" act (but probably only arguable by a person adversely affected).

I note also that Spanish language television provided consecutive
translation to and from English for the recent Superliga soccer
tournament (Mexican and U.S. club teams) -- when interviewing U.S.
players who did not speak Spanish, the interviewer asked the question
in both languages, and translated the answer into Spanish.  Certainly
seems possible for the LGPA to provide the same for the Koreans who
have won nearly 30% of this year's Tour events -- after all, golf is
a more slow-moving game than soccer.

Joel