Chinglish

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 29 02:44:03 UTC 2008

At 2:25 AM +0000 8/29/08, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>Paul,
>
>I'd call it an allophone of "g" in "singing".  I
>can hear in m-w.com an weak "g" for sing.
>There's something there because "singing" does
>not sound like sinning.  I personally have two
>"g" s for "singing".  I gues you have none.
>Must sound like sinnin'.

Tom, do you really not know what a velar nasal
is?  And if so, are you not prepared to look it
up?  And if if not, are you sure you really want
to lecture us on phonetics?

>I once make a list of words where the "g" is
>supposed to be silent.  Words like finger,
>singer, linger, dinger.  Folks could not pick
>out the ones where the "g" was silent.

????  What do you mean by a silent "g"?  Many, I
would hazard to say most, speakers of U.S.
English have a [g] after the velar nasal
represented by the <ng> in "finger" and "linger",
but not in "singer" and "dinger" (any more than
in "sing" or "ding"), but I am quite sure all
English speakers have velar nasals in each of
these words, not alveolar ones.  Your mention of
"sinnin'" for "singing" is a red herring
(although of course many speakers do have an
alveolar, at least some of the time,
corresponding to the *second* <ng> in "singing"
as opposed to the first).  What is a silent "g"?
Is it what I have in "gnostic" and "gnome"?

>  If some dialects have silent "g"s there, I
>would think they are in the minority.

Are you really claiming that you pronounce "sing"
with a (non-nasal) velar stop, and "singing" with
two?

LH