Sister Society

Allan A Metcalf AAllan at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 29 15:01:02 UTC 2008

ADS members may be interested to know that we are now a Sister. The
Linguistic Society of America officially refers to ADS and the other societies that
meet as guests of LSA as "Sister Societies."

This is a usage that began last year when Felix Oliver was for a short while
the LSA executive director and ex officio meeting planner. LSA now has a
Director of Membership and Meetings who has adopted that term.

In all preceding years, when Maggie Reynolds was executive director, we had
very cordial relations with LSA (as we still do) but we were never a sister,
just an affiliated or associated organization.

When we met with MLA, as we did until a decade or so ago, we were officially
an Allied Organization. I always thought of it as the Allies vs the Axis.

- Allan Metcalf, ADS executive secretary

It's only a deal if
it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.