adheed

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Aug 31 15:10:00 UTC 2008

Yes, it certainly looks like a blend.  But there's also a contributing factor here, viz. the similar-sounding vowel that appears in both "heed" and "adhere."

G. Cohen

________________________________

Original message from: Benjamin Zimmer, Sun 8/31/2008 8:57 AM

At a press conference warning of a potential mandatory evacuation of
New Orleans, Mayor Ray Nagin said:

"This is, this is serious business, and
we would not be calling for a mandatory evacuation
unless we thought there was a serious threat
and I think most people will adheed [æd'hid] to that."

The form would appear to be a blend of "pay/give heed" and "adhere".
Read all about it here:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=549

--Ben Zimmer