"Can / May I ask you a question?"

Mon Dec 1 01:08:05 UTC 2008

I sympathize with this. On the other hand, people at the bus stop who
cannot say "Excuse me" but just blurt out "What time is it?" annoy me
greatly.

There are important reasons for prefacing a question with something
else. In the case of a library, the question politely indicates a
request for information that may impose a burden on the interlocutor
and includes recognition that the other person's time is important or
that the question is of particular importance to the asker.

What wording is preferred? BB