A "camera" in 1818?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Dec 1 15:22:32 UTC 2008

Thank you, Chris and Michael Quinion.  I had not imagined portable
camera obscura (I won't attempt a plural!), since the only two I
remember were installed in their own private tower rooms.  (And I now
do remember the San Francisco one, which I visited many years ago.)

The source is _The diary of William Bentley, D.D., pastor of the East
Church, Salem, Massachusetts_.  And yes, I knew that 1818 was a
decade or so too early for a photographic camera.

Joel