Most Notable Quotations of 2008

Ann Burlingham ann at BURLINGHAMBOOKS.COM
Thu Dec 4 21:49:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Most Notable Quotations of 2008
>
> I'm working on my list for the Associated Press of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By "notable" I mean "important" or "famous" or "particularly revealing of the spirit of our times" rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.
>
> Below are ones I am considering.  I would welcome suggestions of additional quotes from 2008, particularly ones from popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.  Many of the political quotes below are anti-Republican in nature (to some extent this is inevitable, I can't distort reality in the interest of balance, i.e., if you nominate people like Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin, you're going to have a lot of notable quotes that make you look foolish), so I would also welcome suggestions of particularly notable anti-Democratic quotes, so I can have some balance.

I don't have one of those, although I remember hearing a few, but I'd
offer - perhaps to a different list, such as "The Most Notable Sneer
Quotes of 2008"?, John McCain's " 'health' of the mother" line. It
certainly struck a whole lot of us strongly.