more back-formed shopping

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Dec 5 10:46:03 UTC 2008

Further to the discussion of 'store-bought' I had always thought the older version was actually 'store-boughten' (has a couple thousand googits, most un-self-conscious).  I'm pretty sure I heard the (perhaps ironic) doubly-suffixed version long before I heard the slightly more regularized one.  A very brief Google Books search finds it in the 1918 ADS publication  'Dialect Notes', Vol. 5 Parts I-X).  A search inside the book yields no hits for 'store bought'.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)