pirates in the Gulf of X

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 6 23:53:28 UTC 2008

Oh, bother these non-rhotic speakers  and their clumsy attempts at
eye-dialect! I once met an Aussie named Ken Fawstuh. For reasons that
I'll spare you, I assumed that this was Ken Forster. I later was told
by a close Aussie friend, who was familiar with my speech pattern,
that his name was in fact Ken _Forester_, IIRC WRT the spelling.

Interestingly, my informant was herself unable to produce the rhotic
pronunciation and gave me to understand wherein lay my
misunderstanding primarily by means of gestures. Amazing, given that
we were both some random number of sheets into the the wind at a
going-away party. The simpler solution of spelling out his name
occurred to neither of us. The  Aussie non-rhotic pronunciation of /r/
as /a/, though not as clear as the Southern "ah-ruh," would have
sufficed and would certainly have been easier than trying to produce
"You need 'nother syllable" by MacGyvering a language of gesture and
hoping to have it correctly understood by a drunk at a party.

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain