Most Notable Quotations of 2008

Wed Dec 10 13:18:56 UTC 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 07:53, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> I need a quick read on whether this one is likely to have legs.  Any
> opinions?  Grant, what is your judgment as an authority on political
> languae?

I long since stopped trying to make serious prognostications about
language. I'm the guy who thought "podcast" was a loser.

What I do know is that "of the year" lists tend to be over-colored by
things happening at the end of the year, so it's best to look at late-
occurring entries with more skepticism than entries from, say, February.

I say wait ten years and let's see.

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org