Most Notable Quotations of 2008

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 11 05:41:13 UTC 2008

Needless to say! The "Eastside" police seemed not to be able to find
any of the black after-hours joints - Missouri rolled up its sidewalks
at 1:30a.m., hence the local saying, "Into the flivver and across the
river!" - that openly operated there, neon signs, ads in Saint Louis's
black newspapers, and all, even back in the day when East Saint Louis,
today 99.44% black, was white enough to maintain a public-school
system as segregated as any in Missouri, despite Illinois state law,
paying lip-service to said law by siphoning the top athletes and the
top scholars from the black schools to East Saint Louis High and
leaving the dregs to attend Lincoln High.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain