Heard on The Judges: BE BIN ...

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 12 16:11:51 UTC 2008

I forgot to add that the couple is from Saint Louis, as evidenced by:

Patrernity-test laboratory representative:

[Name], with scientific certainty, is _not_ the father of child1.

[Name], with scientific certainty, is _not_ the father of child2.

[Name], a thirtyish, black male speaker:

"Aw, man! That's cold-blooded, right thurr [D^r]!

I've been aware of the pronunciation of /-&r/ as [-^r] since ca.1990,
when I heard it used by black St. Louisans on various trash-TV reality
shows. That is to say, though I grew up in Saint Louis, I haven't
lived there since 1962. Hence, I have no idea when this shift began.

Saint Louis-born rapper, Howard Bailey, Jr., in had a hit in 2003 with
his song, _Right Thurr_, under his nom de  rap, "Chingy.".

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain