Finnish meatballs

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Dec 14 15:48:36 UTC 2008

At 12/14/2008 03:18 AM, Victor wrote:
>Matt Yglesias comments on some food terms derived from geography:
>In Finland, they call Swedish meatballs "Finnish meatballs."

If they're appetizingly prepared, then in Finland the Swedish
meatballs are called Finnish.

>It brought to mind a very angry conversation I once had with a Greek
>fellow about my description of a particular beverage as "Turkish
>coffee." He was quite certain that it was Greek coffee, thank you very much.
Since coffee made that way can be quite good -- or at least appealing
to Greek fellows, therefore it must be Greek coffee.

Now with the inhabitants' diseases, on the other hand ... (see the
French -- or it it the English? -- disease).


The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list