"sloppy seconds" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 16 20:53:42 UTC 2008

I remember that. Black St. Louisans were fans of the Browns.
Sportsman's Park, the local professional baseball venue, was owned by
the Browns and the Cardinals leased it for their home games. When the
Browns played, there was open seating. When the Cardinals played, the
venue was Jim-Crowed and black fans were restricted to the bleachers.
Whites could sit in the bleachers, too, if they chose. But blacks had
no choice as to where they sat.

I could never understand this, because the Cardinals weren't owned by
some absentee, mint-julep-sipping, racist grandee from Mississippi,
but by a local Arab-American named Fred Saigh, who segregated the
stadium for Cardinals games by personal fiat. I have no idea what he
had against the colored. The Jim-Crowing of the Cardinals games
certainly wasn't demanded by a hostile, racist, local white
population, either, Saint Louis in the 'Forties and 'Fifties being no
more racist than Boston in the 'Seventies and 'Eighties. As no less a
light than the great Bill Russell once noted, WRT those days:

"I'd rather be in jail in Sacramento than sheriff in Boston."

And white Bostonian *loved* him!

-Wilson
–––
-----