single father

Sat Dec 20 15:26:51 UTC 2008

Isn't this just an ambiguity between a compound and an adjective-plus-noun construction, like blackbird and black bird? Or an ambiguity I'm the meaning of "single"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Morrow <aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:09:16
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] single father

My ex-husband (with whom I have joint physical and legal custody of our
12-year-old son) would be shocked to hear that you wouldn't consider him a
"single father."  We split parenting time equally, and he does pay child
support due to the disparity in our incomes.  He calls him self a "single
dad" or "single father", and no one here in Michigan seems to find that
odd.  (I'm remarried, so I'm not a single mom!)
Andrea