cuff/cup and misremembering

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 23 14:22:29 UTC 2008

I searched a couple other expressions with "cuff", "off the cuff" and
"like a dog on the cuff."  "Off the cup" gets 103,000 hits, but the
only one even remotely close to "off the cuff" is a Starbucks pun in a
Seattle Times article:

A local spokeswoman suggested that Starbucks' off-the-cup opinions
leaned left, and that if the company wants righties to buy lattes, it
should put conservative opinions on cups.

There are all of seven hits for "dog on the cup," none of which are
even close in meaning to the expression with "cuff."

Herb