opportYOUnity

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 24 19:01:51 UTC 2008

> But I believe I pronounce "male" and "mail" identically, something
> like a shortened form of "may-ull" or "may-ill

If "ull" is the vowel sound as in "bull" or "wool" it's ~ool in truespel phonetics where ~oo foespels the "short oo" sound.  It occurs more often then most realize.  For instance "l" endings like "triple" ~tripool, "trouble" ~trubool.  It's foespeld by schwa usually.

Learn truespel in 15 minutes at http://tinypaste.com/76f44

> Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:26:02 -0500
> From: Berson at ATT.NET
> Subject: Re: opportYOUnity
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
> Subject: Re: opportYOUnity
>
> At 12/24/2008 07:43 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>>Nor ~Klous as well, but I assume that's not an American dialect
>>pronunciation.
>
> Isn't it the Pennsylvania Dutch American dialect
> pronunciation? :-) (I was joshing when I suggested it.)
>
> But I believe I pronounce "male" and "mail" identically, something
> like a shortened form of "may-ull" or "may-ill", and differently from
> "mal". (Of course, in the 18th century it was "malefeasance",
> although I don't know how that was pronounced.)
>
> Joel

Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032870/direct/01/