macaronic wordplay

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 28 20:58:31 UTC 2008

I guess it's because I learned my Latin as (pause to count on fingers)
my 3rd language, in H.S., with Classical pronunciation. And living in
Mass. for 20 years I was plenty exposed to Harvard and their shield
saying
 VER
  IT
 AS
which I always thought of with the /w/.

That shield probably also conditioned me -- and p'raps Ms. Dickinson
as well -- to breaking it up that exact way (which I didn't think to
mention before).

Mark Mandel