dative uses (was Re: Prescriptive Linguists)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 1 03:36:22 UTC 2008

But that holds only for the lyrics as I learned them. The Carter lyrics --
possibly to a different tune, folk songs are constantly passing bits of
verse, lines, and whole stanzas around ("I Got It From Agnes"?!) -- clearly
involve the singer, the singee, and the unmentioned quasi-pawnbroker.
Quoting again from Charlie's post:

   Oh I'll pawn you my gold watch and chain, love,
   And I'll pawn you my gold diamond ring,
   I will pawn you this heart in my bosom,
   Only say that you'll love me again.

And that's a case of the INTERESTING setup.

m a m

Mark Mandel