Liddell (was: Pronouncing drug names (w. note for Wilson))

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 1 22:53:11 UTC 2008

Regarding "ell" endings for people's names:

The truespel database of 62k words contains
half the last names, 90% of the men's first names
and 80% of the women's first names of USA folk.
There are 37 ending in "ell."  Of these 6 have
stress on the last syllable.
See http://inogolo.com for another pronunciation.
(There are a few differences besides notation.)

cnt     tradspel        inogolo truespel        stess
1       Blackwell       blak-wull       ~Blakwel
2       Boswell BAWS-well       ~Baazwel
3       Caldwell        KALD-well       ~Kauldwel
4       Campbell        KAM-bull        ~Kambool
5       Cantrell        kan-TRELL       ~Kantrrel       last
6       Chappell        CHA-pull        ~Chapool
7       Cordell not found       ~Korddel
8       Cornell kor-NELL        ~Kornnel        last
9       Crowell KROU-ull        ~Kraawool
10      Darell  not found       ~Dairool
11      Darnell DAR-nell        ~Daarnnel
12      Darrell DAIR-rull       ~Dairool
13      Farrell FAIR-ull        ~Fairool
14      Ferrell FAIR-ull        ~Fairool
15      Harrell HAIR-ell        ~Hairool
16      Howell  HOU-ull ~Houwool
17      Jewell  jool    ~Juel
18      Lovell  LUV-ull ~Luvool
19      Lowell  not found       ~Loel
20      Maxwell MAX-well        ~Makswel
21      McConnell       mih-KAH-null    ~Mikkaanool
22      McDowell        mik-DOU-ull     ~Mikddaawool
23      Nell    nell    ~Nel
24      Newell  NOO-wull        ~Nuewool
25      O'Connell       o-KAH-null      ~Oekkaanool
26      O'dell  O-dell  ~Oeddel last
27      O'Donnell       o-DAH-null      ~Oeddaanool
28      Powell  POU-ull ~Paawool
29      Purcell pur-SELL        ~Perssel        last
30      Randell not found       ~Randool
31      Russell RUSS-ull        ~Rusool
32      Sewell  SOO-wull        ~Suewool
33      Snell   snell   ~Snel
34      Terrell TAIR-ull        ~Terrel last
35      Tidwell TID-well        ~Tidwl
36      Tyrell  not found       ~Tierrel        last
37      Wendell WEN-dull        ~Wendool

Mr. Yoder says:
This is not an academic website or a tool for linguists
and onomasticians. It's a practical tool for the average
person.  The inogolo website is the part-time project of
Stuart Yoder  who lives and works in the Austin, Texas
area, and enjoys orthoepy as a hobby.

Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.