The duration of /ae/ and /ai/

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 2 01:08:39 UTC 2008

If an NC speaker said "ah" instead of "eye" for a stimulus word that you'd expect to be "eye" /aI/ as in "bide", they are saying two different phonemes.  If you said both were "eye" /ai/ it does not seem right.  I would think you need to specify that the phonemes were spoken correctly.  It may not be possible to get "eye" out of Southerners who substitude "ah" for "eye" consistently.  So you may be comparing "words" not "phonemes".

Also a Southerner may say ~bayud for the word "bad".  This adds two different phonemes and makes /ae/ longer.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

http://biggestloser.msn.com/